Antonio Guterres: Available Resources Are Not Enough to Help Afghanistan Earthquake Survivors
- Zan News

- Sep 3
- 1 min read

Antonio Guterres, the UN Secretary-General, has called for urgent and increased assistance to the survivors of the eastern Afghanistan earthquake, stressing that current resources are not sufficient to meet the needs.
In a statement released by UNAMA, Guterres said that the United Nations will spare no effort to help the people of Afghanistan and urged the international community to allocate more humanitarian resources for an immediate response to this disaster.
According to the statement, so far 5 million dollars from the UN Emergency Response Fund (CERF) and another 5 million dollars from the Afghanistan Humanitarian Fund have been allocated for urgent aid.
The UN Secretary-General, offering condolences to the families of victims and wishing recovery for the injured, said that the United Nations and its partners are rapidly assessing needs, delivering emergency assistance, and preparing to mobilize more support.
This comes after the 6.0-magnitude earthquake on Sunday night struck the provinces of Kunar, Nangarhar, Laghman, and Nuristan. The Taliban say that so far at least 1,411 people have been killed and more than three thousand injured.



